What is this?
Upload a midi file, hit play on the control. It will be rendered on a
486 DX2 66 Pentium 233 running dos with a true hardware Roland SC-55. Be a bit patient. It's an old computer.
A lot of music from the early 90s was written to be synthed on the Roland SC-55 and it's various cousins. Emulation of the device via soundfonts has not come
close in all areas. Upload a midi and it will be synthed on real hardware and hopefully play over shoutcast.
I have a (really bad computer) system running a TCP/IP stack in dos via packet driver, along with said Roland synth. For the heck of it I wrote
a series of batch\qbasic scripts and chained curl + dosmid + some php scripts together. The result is that this here 22 year old machine will synth MIDI files you upload, and
they will be streamed over an Icecast server automatically in the order they are queued. It probably is horribly dangerous to put such an old machine on the internet, a backup is in place as this is probably going to be wildly unstable and prone to issues. It probably will not be up all the time, I want to get back to playing Zeliard. ;)
- SAPI player has a limit of 64kb filesize
- 12/24/16 - Whoops. Icecast was not listening on IPv6, some picky devices may not have had working audio....I don't know what I should do with this site
- 4/10/17 - Err, someone did a denial of service attack on the site, cleaned up a bit...why foot why
- 10/12/17 - Bugs galore. Captcha in some cases was not working right.
- 10/23/17 - The dos machine is now under control of KERMIT. Not really sure if this will be reliable...very broken right now, sorry....cannot resume work till tomorrow
- 10/24/17 - SAPI, SB, and MPU401 SC55 functionality restored. May still be unstable. Goal is to re-add features, stabilize, then add OGG or OPUS midi recordings.
- 10/29/17 - Switched to OPUS + OGG encoding for audio. If anyone has trouble with this please send me a tweet.
- 7/22/18 - The Pentium 233 DOS PC died. RIP. Offline until further notice. I still have the 486 but it needs a smaller CF card due to controller card limitations, 256mb or 512mb, which I do not have.